Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Annual Kodiak Crab Festival-The Ferry Ride

For years (literally, years!) Paul has been wanting to go to Kodiak to attend the Crab Festival.  I used to have a job and was reluctant to take time off for a Crab Festival.  And if I was going to go on vacation, I wanted to go somewhere out of Alaska.  Well, a couple things have changed in my life since then and now I have ALL my time off and if I'm going to go on vacation, Alaska sounds quite nice. 

Even though we stayed "close to home" we had the best time.  It felt like we were really on vacation and Kodiak felt very far away and really different than our everyday, so it was really perfect. 

We started out by picking up Paul at work at the end of his shift and drove through the night to Homer.  It's a good time of year to drive through the night, as it only gets twilighty and never really dark. 

Once in Homer we embarked on the trusty Tustemena.  (Do you embark on a ship, or just embark a ship?)  This is the ferry to Kodiak.  We didn't take our car because it's a 13 hour ferry ride, and we were only willing to sign up for that one-way. 




We call it our Alaskan cruise.  This sunrise was at 4:45 or so.  It was a beautiful morning to be out cruising. 


I'm really nervous about undertaking anything that lasts 13 hours with twin 18 month olds after having stayed up all night, so I was kind of dreading this part of the trip.  We got ourselves a little berth and it turned out to be a fantastic day.

There was plenty of room to run around.



And lots to look at.


Esme loved the wind in her hair.


Ezra did not.



I enjoyed the wind in my hair too!




We took lots of breaks from the fresh air and sunshine for naps.  The babies loved napping with mom and dad in our little cabin with the curtains down.  Thank goodness. 


We would wake up from a deep nap and head back out to the deck to see where we had gotten ourselves.   



 
Pretty nice.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I think a ship embarks, but you embark on a ship. And I love that shimmering water! It looks like that you have that boat all to yourselves. When we take the ferry to Ellis Island, it's crowded and you have to race to find a seat before all those New York high school students beat you to it.

Ben said...

I can't imagine why you would be nervous to embark on a 13-hour voyage with twin 18 month olds after driving all night. Anyone insane enough to even try that would never be actually nervous about it!

And yet, there you did it and it worked. Sometimes I think I'm kind of a pansy about what I'll try to do with my kids...

Looks like a great boat ride!

Jenn said...

Looks like an amazing trip!