Sunday, April 28, 2019

October

Sometimes I feel so proud of myself for accomplishing really little things.  Seasonal things seem especially praiseworthy to me.  I do not know why.  Maybe it's because I was so non-functional for a long time after I had babies.  Now whenever I can manage to get pumpkins on my porch in October I feel like I deserve an award!


We made a valiant effort at getting our lawn raked before it snowed this year.  That felt good.


Esme made a valiant effort at beginning her career as a photographer.  Usually I find her with my phone hiding under their bed.  Now when she grabs my phone she announces, I want to take a picture of the beautiful world.  That means the scene from our living room window.  I love that.  But for a while it was all secretive knees.


One rainy day we made a car track in our bedroom.


See what I mean?  Knees.  Oh! I just remembered!  These knee pictures are all taken around 3:45 am up by my bed.  She would sneak up there and take pictures of her knees before I woke up to put her back to bed!  What a girl.


We got in as many last-of-the-season bike rides as we could.  We realized these two are not going to both fit in this trailer for another season.  Time to graduate to their own bikes!




Thomas found a new favorite game called "Lay On Esme."


Perhaps the biggest news of October was the moose.  Paul's work friends had signed up to be on the Roadkill Moose list.  In the middle of an appointment with a specialist for Thomas, Paul got the call and away he had to go!  They were so happy!!!  As was our freezer.  It was actually quite a blessing since dipnetting and the caribou hunt had been unsuccessful and maybe the elk hunt was a little sparse this year too.  Can't help feeling looked after when a moose just falls into our empty freezer.  


Every once in a while (probably not as often as we should) we try to enjoy a little one on one time with the kids.  With Paul, this usually involves some kind of pastry.


Making friends with neighborhood characters.


Before we knew it, it was suddenly winter!



Just in time for Halloween.


I daresay, we nailed it. Yet another proud successful mommy moment.



2 comments:

Jenn said...

I LOVED your Halloween costumes! And I know what you mean about being proud of pulling off anything for the holidays. We have been in and out of survival mode many times, but the five-kid thing has definitely made a lot of things not happen anymore. So anytime they do, it feels like a victory! The thing I don't do anymore is take my little kids out to do ANYTHING fun. :)

Brittany said...

What does moose taste like?