Since we both had yesterday off and the laundry can wait, we decided to go fishing on the Russian. Well, Paul decided to go fishing on the Russian and I decided to be a good sport. You see, I haven't caught a fish there...ever. Usually I fish for a little bit and then read for HOURS and HOURS while Paul fishes "just a little longer." But I hadn't been yet this year, so I figured I was down for a little Monday fishing.
We rode our bikes a couple miles in to where you can fish below the falls. I love that little bike ride. It's a fun trail. And I love watching the fishies jump up the enormous waterfalls trying to make it back to their home lake. That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life.
Apparently hip waders are not meant for riding bikes. Paulio's sprung a leak.

Paul checks the fish counts online regularly (about a million times a day) so we knew not to expect too much yesterday. The first run of reds is over and the second doesn't start yet.
But lo and behold...I caught one. I now feel like a contributing member of our family. Sorry I look so goofy in this picture, but I'm just so excited about my little fishy.
And then of course Paul caught a big fattie.
What a monster! (And the fish is pretty fearsome too.)
A well spent day. Paul is smoking the salmon right now in preparation for his parents' arrival this weekend! Will the fun never stop???
We rode our bikes a couple miles in to where you can fish below the falls. I love that little bike ride. It's a fun trail. And I love watching the fishies jump up the enormous waterfalls trying to make it back to their home lake. That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life.
Apparently hip waders are not meant for riding bikes. Paulio's sprung a leak.
Paul checks the fish counts online regularly (about a million times a day) so we knew not to expect too much yesterday. The first run of reds is over and the second doesn't start yet.
But lo and behold...I caught one. I now feel like a contributing member of our family. Sorry I look so goofy in this picture, but I'm just so excited about my little fishy.
And then of course Paul caught a big fattie.
What a monster! (And the fish is pretty fearsome too.)
A well spent day. Paul is smoking the salmon right now in preparation for his parents' arrival this weekend! Will the fun never stop???
5 comments:
I am jealous of your summer adventures! Dangit, I need to visit!
Nice work, Shug! A genuine Alaska fisherwoman, tuke and all.
And, I have to say, Paul's beard is looking impressive.
You never cease to amaze. What a tremendous family. And your fish is HUGE!
wow! congrats on that catch Shug! You all seem to really love the outdoors and all that Alaska has to offer. One of these days I'd love to check Alaska out myself (though I'm not as outdoorsy...I love to fish!) I'm so happy that you are happy. You radiate it!
Sometimes I look at your life and think it is actually a dream. You live in a dream world, Shug. So beautiful.
Post a Comment