I'm going to go ahead and say it...This winter sucked. It was just too much for me. And thus, I am SO SO glad it's summer now. Consequently, I feel this incredible need to be outside as much as I possibly can. Specifically, I feel this incredible need to be in the mountains as much as I possibly can. I feel sane in the mountains. I feel like I have a better perspective when I am out of town.
Last Monday we went fishing at Ship Creek. That is NOT in the mountains. In fact, it is right downtown. But I forgot what a kick I get out of that place. It's fun to be there first thing in the morning. There was a super high tide that day so the fishing was poor (read: nonexistent), so we just had our lines in the water for a while and then headed out on the Turnagain Arm for some hiking.
We spotted some sheep pretty close up on the side of a mountain when we got out of the car to hike. Paul thought it would be a good idea to scamper up after them. So we did. Umm...so we tried. Paul is quite the mountain goat himself. I (can you believe it?) am not. So we scrambled up the sheer face of the rock trying to get close to the sheep we could no longer see. A crowd of people stopped on the highway and were looking up, as is common when there are sheep close to the road. I'm sure they also enjoyed my death grip on the rocks as I nearly slid to my death about 80 times. Glad I had an audience. Then the audience started exclaiming, "Oh look! A bear! That's why they're running!" (meaning the goats.) Here's the crazy part of the story...PAUL KEPT GOING! What a nut. Eventually he also threw in the towel and came down to the bottom where he too spotted the bear.
We decided to hike in the opposite direction. We found these lovely lupines(?). And the sun came out! That's more my speed of wilderness adventure.

This Monday was our anniversary! We decided to celebrate by doing some reconnaisance work by biking the trail I am planning to take the Young Women on for camp later this summer. I have never been mountain biking before and felt a little trepidatious about the endeavor.

Guess what! THE SUN CAME OUT!!! It was a beautiful beautiful day! 2 Mondays in a row! It was warm!. There was still a little snow on the trail, but mostly dry.

Good news is, this is going to be the most perfect YW camp EVER!!! And guess what else! I heart mountain biking. Who knew? So fun! I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. Definitely challenging, but a riot all day.

Until we ditched our bikes because there were infinity downed trees on the path and it got a little stupid heaving our bikes over infinity trees every 3 feet. So we had a nice little walk-a-roo for a couple miles before we got back to our bikes to finish up.

To complete our magical day we went to Red Robin for some bottomless fries and milkshakes. DELICIOUS! And I looked super cute, honest, but there are no pictures to document. But don't worry, I walked into work this morning and 2 of my youth said, "I saw you last night at Red Robbin, lookin all fancy, wearing a dress, with some guy. Who's Mr Wonderful?" Funny funny youth. I told them he was my husband and they said, "You're married? And you still go on dates? Must be goin' alright." Yep. Sure is. And yes, I dress up for Red Robin.
Last Monday we went fishing at Ship Creek. That is NOT in the mountains. In fact, it is right downtown. But I forgot what a kick I get out of that place. It's fun to be there first thing in the morning. There was a super high tide that day so the fishing was poor (read: nonexistent), so we just had our lines in the water for a while and then headed out on the Turnagain Arm for some hiking.
We spotted some sheep pretty close up on the side of a mountain when we got out of the car to hike. Paul thought it would be a good idea to scamper up after them. So we did. Umm...so we tried. Paul is quite the mountain goat himself. I (can you believe it?) am not. So we scrambled up the sheer face of the rock trying to get close to the sheep we could no longer see. A crowd of people stopped on the highway and were looking up, as is common when there are sheep close to the road. I'm sure they also enjoyed my death grip on the rocks as I nearly slid to my death about 80 times. Glad I had an audience. Then the audience started exclaiming, "Oh look! A bear! That's why they're running!" (meaning the goats.) Here's the crazy part of the story...PAUL KEPT GOING! What a nut. Eventually he also threw in the towel and came down to the bottom where he too spotted the bear.
We decided to hike in the opposite direction. We found these lovely lupines(?). And the sun came out! That's more my speed of wilderness adventure.
This Monday was our anniversary! We decided to celebrate by doing some reconnaisance work by biking the trail I am planning to take the Young Women on for camp later this summer. I have never been mountain biking before and felt a little trepidatious about the endeavor.
Guess what! THE SUN CAME OUT!!! It was a beautiful beautiful day! 2 Mondays in a row! It was warm!. There was still a little snow on the trail, but mostly dry.
Good news is, this is going to be the most perfect YW camp EVER!!! And guess what else! I heart mountain biking. Who knew? So fun! I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. Definitely challenging, but a riot all day.
Until we ditched our bikes because there were infinity downed trees on the path and it got a little stupid heaving our bikes over infinity trees every 3 feet. So we had a nice little walk-a-roo for a couple miles before we got back to our bikes to finish up.
To complete our magical day we went to Red Robin for some bottomless fries and milkshakes. DELICIOUS! And I looked super cute, honest, but there are no pictures to document. But don't worry, I walked into work this morning and 2 of my youth said, "I saw you last night at Red Robbin, lookin all fancy, wearing a dress, with some guy. Who's Mr Wonderful?" Funny funny youth. I told them he was my husband and they said, "You're married? And you still go on dates? Must be goin' alright." Yep. Sure is. And yes, I dress up for Red Robin.
4 comments:
I have 3 things to say:
1. I think that Turnagain Arm is possibly the coolest name for a geographic location I know of.
2. Mountain biking? That's hardcore! Good thing we gave you the warm-up on the Minute Man trail, eh?
3. 3 weeks and 3 days until we're coming!
I love mountain wildflowers the best. After mountain streams. I LOVE mountain streams. You guys live in a nice place.
You two are so adventurous! I need to be a little more like you.
I really, really love that Red Robin story!
Post a Comment