So, remember when Griff had her revolution? Remember how she stopped being addicted to checking her email and blogs? (I'm paraphrasing...hope you don't mind, Griff.) Well, I recently had a little tiny revolution of my own. Enough with the incessant checking of blogs and email. Let's be honest, I get an email from a friend maybe once or twice a week. The rest are travel offers and recipes from Saveur that I delete without even looking at them. Sure, it only takes a couple of seconds, but all day those seconds add up. I love the feeling of coming back from vacation and realizing that I've broken the habit of wanting to check my email, but usually I settle right back into it because there's always a computer around. Well, no more! I now check my email in the morning when I get to work and when I get home from work. By now, maybe 2 weeks in, I forget to check my email when I get home. I did it! I changed my life! I check blogs on Sunday afternoon, and it's nice because there's always something new to read from someone. Hooray for less wasted time in my life. Next step, smashing up all the computers in my life. Might have to wait for Paul to be done with school to accomplish that one. And I'm not sure my boss would appreciate that...
This new way of life, combined with approaching winter has resulted in the recent dearth of posts on my own blog. We're keeping busy as usual, but the things we are involved in are much less picturesque than in the summertime. Though I have decided that September is now my favorite month. I really love love loved autumn this year.
Here are some out of date pictures of the last month or so. A beautiful salad from our garden this year. I was really fond of the nasturtiums. They are edible flowers that have a peppery taste at first which is followed by sweet honey notes.

The biggest pea I have ever seen in my entire life. We had the best strawberry crop yet. They just kept coming and coming and they were so so sweet.



We were also happy with our first successful zuccini.

Paul cooking halibut and hot dogs for those of us with slightly less refined taste.

We had a pitiful blueberry harvest this year. We have committed a friend to show us his family's secret spot next year. But we can't post any pictures of that because it's TOP SECRET and his parents must never know. In fact, I hear he has to blindfold us on the way.

I made Razamatazz bars. This is a Griff recipe that she fed me when I visited her once in NJ. Amazing!

Paul left me to go elk hunting with his family in Colorado. They were super successful and got as many elk as they had tags for. He had fun with his family and came home and made delicious jerky. He's a good one.


While he was away, I invited some work friends over to make bread and keep me company. That night Chris showed up with a garbage bag full of basil from his parents. It was the most basil I've ever seen in my life. He and Gilia proceeded to whip up about a million batches of pesto that they left in my freezer. I was startled when I checked later and saw how huge the pile was. They started the evening claiming to be purists, but by the end of the night I had apple picante pesto, red pepper pesto and a loaf of pesto cheese swirl bread.

And then when Paul came home I had a nice little loaf of craisin orange bread waiting for him.

So now we're settling in for the winter. No snow yet, but it's a-comin. Paul's busy with school and I'm doing seminary so there is much less time for shenanigans. This is the time of year when all our picturues start to feature only the food we're cooking. Too bad we didn't get a picture of last night's salmon pickle dish.
This new way of life, combined with approaching winter has resulted in the recent dearth of posts on my own blog. We're keeping busy as usual, but the things we are involved in are much less picturesque than in the summertime. Though I have decided that September is now my favorite month. I really love love loved autumn this year.
Here are some out of date pictures of the last month or so. A beautiful salad from our garden this year. I was really fond of the nasturtiums. They are edible flowers that have a peppery taste at first which is followed by sweet honey notes.
The biggest pea I have ever seen in my entire life. We had the best strawberry crop yet. They just kept coming and coming and they were so so sweet.
We were also happy with our first successful zuccini.
Paul cooking halibut and hot dogs for those of us with slightly less refined taste.
We had a pitiful blueberry harvest this year. We have committed a friend to show us his family's secret spot next year. But we can't post any pictures of that because it's TOP SECRET and his parents must never know. In fact, I hear he has to blindfold us on the way.
I made Razamatazz bars. This is a Griff recipe that she fed me when I visited her once in NJ. Amazing!
Paul left me to go elk hunting with his family in Colorado. They were super successful and got as many elk as they had tags for. He had fun with his family and came home and made delicious jerky. He's a good one.
While he was away, I invited some work friends over to make bread and keep me company. That night Chris showed up with a garbage bag full of basil from his parents. It was the most basil I've ever seen in my life. He and Gilia proceeded to whip up about a million batches of pesto that they left in my freezer. I was startled when I checked later and saw how huge the pile was. They started the evening claiming to be purists, but by the end of the night I had apple picante pesto, red pepper pesto and a loaf of pesto cheese swirl bread.
And then when Paul came home I had a nice little loaf of craisin orange bread waiting for him.
So now we're settling in for the winter. No snow yet, but it's a-comin. Paul's busy with school and I'm doing seminary so there is much less time for shenanigans. This is the time of year when all our picturues start to feature only the food we're cooking. Too bad we didn't get a picture of last night's salmon pickle dish.
2 comments:
I want that bag of basil more than anything! How do you guys grow things up there, anyway? I also want a freezer full of pesto. That's some fancy living.
Those strawberries look amazing. The ones that don't make it into the house when I'm picking:) You two are so self reliant, it's inspiring.
Post a Comment