
The one class I never figured out in highschool was chemistry. It might have something to do with the fact that I had already been accepted to my college of choice before I ever finished that class, so my motivation was a bit lacking. (Much to my mom's horror...where was my work ethic? Where was my sense of finishing what I start?) Well, here I am, a good 10 years later and my husband is in school, taking a chemistry class of all things. Sometimes I do his homework with him, and guess what...I am absolutely loving it! I haven't used my brain like that is YEARS!!! (10, to be exact.) You can practically smell the smoke coming out of our ears as we form a ton of brand-new neural pathways. I heart learning! I can still hear Mr B's voice explaining covalent bonds and balancing equations and something about orbitals and valence electrons. Too bad the memory of his voice is fuzzy and I can't recall hardly anything specific. Lots of relearning but it's a party. Especially since I'm not being graded on anything. Yet, I feel this strange urgency to actually understand the questions and answers so I can keep up with what comes next. Might have to take a leave of absence from social working to go ahead and get a chemistry degree!
3 comments:
i dont know if i ever told you that i had to take chem 30 in order to apply to nursing. so i took it, as a night class, while i was working. obviously i passed no problem, but i knew i shouldn't have forced my mom to let me drop it in high school!
If you really love learning, one option is to become a professional student as I have done. It's great--long winter breaks, summers off, and in the spring and fall you get to learn a bunch of cool stuff. The only drawback is the money, I guess. But who needs money?
So true, Shug! It's crazy to be around schoolwork again, isn't it? Almost inspires one to crack open the old physics textbooks. I love the logic of chemistry far better than the paragraphs of blah in biology.
Post a Comment