
I promised Brittany I would send her a bread recipe. Here it is. This recipe is from the William Sonoma Bread book that Griff gave me years ago. Thanks Griff.
1 1/2 TBSP active dry yeast
pinch of brown sugar
1 cup warm water (just warm enough to stick your finger in without it being uncomfortable.)
1 1/2 cups tepid buttermilk (I always just use milk with some lemon juice in it. Because honestly, who has buttermilk?)
1/4 cup maple syrup, honey, or light molasses (I think honey is best.)
1/4 cup canola oil (put this in the measuring cup first so that the honey slips right out instead of stickin.)
1 TBSP salt
3 cups whole-wheat flour
3 1/2 - 4 cups bread flour, plus extra as needed.
Sprinkle yeast and brown sugar over the water and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy. And it gets pretty foamy.
Mix in another bowl, milk, honey, oil, salt, and 2 cups of the wheat flour, for a while, until it's pretty creamy. Use a wooden spoon if you have one, it works best. Beat in the yeast mixture and another cup of the wheat flour. Then dump in some white flour until it is manageable, then dump it on a well-floured surface and knead it. Keep working in as much flour as you need to keep it from sticking. Don't use too much flour though, or it gets tough. You want it to be smooth and elasticky. Then place it in a deep narrow bowl (or a normal bowl will do) that is lightly greased, and cover with saran. Let it rise until it's double. the time is completely variable. If you have a furnace room, it will double nicely as a bread-rising room. If not, try putting it on the dryer if you're drying clothes. If you hang your clothes out to dry, try putting it in a spot of sun to get it to rise faster. Or wait. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. When it's doubled, punch it down and put it into a bread pan. It makes enough for about 1 1/2 loaves, so I put the 1/2 part in two mini bread pans. Let it rise again until double. Then bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes the book says. I always take mine out sooner. Then eat it.
2 comments:
Shug, you are the very best! Unfortunately, there is a big hole in our oven right now, so I won't be able to bake until it gets replaced, but this will be the very first thing I make when it is possible.
Thanks so much.
Your loaves look so perfectly beautiful in all of your pictures! I envy your loaf-shaping skills. I am having the hardest time not forgetting about my bread ever since we moved here . . . and it ALWAYS rises way too much and I've been having terrifying results. I think maybe my rising spot (on top of my oven which is constantly warm because of the pilot light) is a little too warm. Maybe I should try your recipe.
Post a Comment